Friday, February 16, 2007

Of cutting corners...

Come Feb 15 and we have legions of employees standing by the printer, printing fake house rent receipts, medical bills, telephone bills, car-driver salary bills etc., so that they are exempt from more tax.

All look sheepishly at each other, some of the bold ones boldly telling the others about the rouses they have used to save all the money. All looking sheepishly at the others as the printer churns out the fake documents - partners in crime, some more than the others.

And dare anyone comment on this skulldugery, for the pack will gang up on any one stupid or brave enough to point out the truth about "cheating".

"I dont have the bills, but i deserve that exemption anyways...."
"Why shoud the govt. have my money?"
"Who the hell are you to comment?"
"What *your* fucking problem if I do this? Go mind your own fucking business..."
"Who made all these stupid rules anyways? Be a rebel!"

Takes me back several years to Campion, and the rampant cheating that went on there during the assessments and exams. For many, it was a simple question of survival. Maybe I can appreciate that now. A poke in Darwin's eyes. A super-Darwinistic prespective. A higher order than meritocracy. Seldom admitted, but omnipresent. A super-rationalist to the rationalist in the Game of Life. Suddenly, reservation et al makes a lot of sense.

But, the flawed Lahore-Peshawar Theorem prevails. I cannot bring myself to fake my rent receipts.

Not yet anyways.

No comments: